Saturday 11 May 2013

Moroccan Lambeth Style

A very good Chef friend of mine was having a destination wedding and unfortunately I wasn't able to attend. So he asked me if I could make a cake for their wedding shower. I gladly accepted! The theme was a Moroccan Garden Party. They wanted bright colors and lots of gold, which is right up my alley!
 
 
 Only 2 tiers were real and the others were Styrofoam dummies that I covered with fondant. I made a batch of Royal Icing and had my trusted piping bag ready. I used various styles and numbers of tips to create the beautiful piping. I started on the bottom tier and didn't have a plan of how I wanted this cake to look but I winged the whole thing and was pleasantly surprised in the end.
 
 This piping style is called the Lambeth Method, it's definitely my favorite look on cakes, it is very difficult to master and it takes a lot of practice. You need to have a lot of control with your piping bag and don't ever hesitate when piping. If you hesitate it will show with your design. You want to keep a soft fluid motion with a quick release at all times. And always a steady hand!
 The beautiful thing about the Lambeth Method is that it looks so elegant, there is a constant overlay which adds a beautiful dramatic effect to cakes. Which makes it seem that the piping is jumping off the cake.  
 I used 24 carat gold dust to paint over the piping. Which gave the cake a very regal look.


 
Over all I was very impressed with the way this cake turned out and of course my friends we're ecstatic with the finished product!

 

1 comment:

  1. Pam, not only did we love our cake it didn't last long because it tasted so amazing. Not to mention all the cake pops on the side. You did an incredible job and we love you.

    Solmaz

    ReplyDelete