Thursday 9 May 2013

Elmo's confetti cake

 I don't generally enjoy making tall cakes with fresh fruit on the inside, but my friend's daughter Chole requested it, and the birthday girl always gets what she want. These tall layered cakes love to wobble around while you're trying to crumb coat them and also when you mask them. Sometimes it makes the cake look like the Great Tower of Piazza. But since I'm a pro I was up for the challenge! If you know me well, you know that I love things that are tall and slender and that's why I love the way a tall cake looks! There's something special about it.

I made vanilla frosting and added seedless raspberry jam instead of puree (because lets be honest, jam is a lot easier to find the grocery store). It flavored the frosting nicely and I added fresh raspberries to enhance the texture and flavor.
 As you can see, I'm kind of obsessed with sprinkles, I love the way they jazz up children's birthday cakes. If you're going to try this trick, please be advise that the stick sprinkles are easier to use than Non-pariels (the little sprinkle balls). Regardless sprinkles will get everywhere so I recommend using a plastic bag underneath your area while applying them.
 To make a mini Elmo, I used gum paste. My favorite gum paste to use is Satin Ice. The texture is smooth and not as sticky as the Wilton brand. It also hardens much faster. I used a ton of red paste food coloring to achieve Elmo's color of red. Then I manipulated Elmo's shape, making the body first, then the head, then the rest of him. I stuck his body parts on with water. Remember sugar always sticks to sugar.

 I decorated the cake with mini gumballs and giant gumballs, and I added pink royal icing to the cake board because it's Chole's favorite color.


No comments:

Post a Comment